Realizing the strategic
importance of lac, the then Imperial Govt. of India constituted the
Lindsay- Harlow Committee in 1920, to look into all aspects of the
country's lac trade and its development. On the suggestions of this
Committee, lac merchants organized themselves into the Indian Lac
Association for Research, under the aegis of which, the foundation stone
of Indian Lac Research Institute (ILRI) was laid at Ranchi on September
Subsequently, on the
recommendation of the Royal Commission on Agriculture, the Indian Lac Cess
Committee (ILCC) was constituted, which took over the reigns of the ILRI
on August 1, 1931.The ILCC also organized and maintained the London
Shellac Research Bureau, UK and Shellac Research Bureau and Polytechnique
Institute of Brooklyn, USA.
As a result of reorganization
of agricultural research and education in the country, the ICAR took over
the administrative control of the ILRI from April 1, 1966. This is one of
the oldest Institutes within ICAR, having completed 84 years of fruitful
service to the nation.
The institute mandate has been
expanded in the year 2007 to look after important issues related to all
natural resins & gums of Indian origin. Accordingly ILRI has been renamed
as Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums (IINRG). The Institute is
known by this name since Sept.20, 2007.